Art Deco Set of Six Cherry Silver Boxed Cocktail Sticks by Barker Brothers Silver Ltd. Dated: 1928.
The set of six silver cocktail sticks were made by the Barker Brothers, one of the oldest firms of silversmiths originating from Birmingham in Paradise Street then moving to Constitution Hill.
It also maintained a London showroom during the early part of the 20th century.
Barker Brothers, also known as The Barker Ellis Silver Company, was established in 1801.
The business is listed as Barker Brothers in the Post Office Directory of Birmingham from 1871.
In 1907 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the name Barker Brothers Silversmiths Ltd.
Levi & Salaman Ltd and its subsidiary Potosi Silver Co were incorporated by Barker Brothers in 1921.
The Barker Brothers were known for producing utilitarian silver, flatware and tableware. Their silverware encompassed many popular styles of the era; such as Queen Anne, Art Deco and Nouveau – influenced by the silversmiths who joined the company as its reputation grew. Their success is certainly due to their ability to adapt and produce a variety of styles to suit popular fashion at the time.
All the cocktail sticks are hallmarked on the tip. The hallmarks are in a shield, with B.B.S.Ld for Barker Brothers Silver Ltd, an anchor for Birmingham, Lion Passant for Silver and the capital letter ‘D’ for 1928.
In good vintage condition with a faux tortoiseshell design.
Clasp in good order.
Internal Ref: PAD0989